05 December 2021

Roller Skate – Prop Breakdown – Irene Ha



Hi! My name is Irene Ha, and I work in game industry as an environment artist.  I am always trying to update my skill.  This time I wanted to learn hard surfacing modeling and practice Substance Designer and Painter.



I used Maya for modelling and created unique materials with Substance Designer. The prop was textured with Substance Painter and rendered in Marmoset Toolbag3.



It was important for me to create something that I feel connected to, otherwise, I will lose interest and never complete it.  I already have too many unfinished 3d projects!  As I google mindlessly, I saw a pretty roller skate that reminded me of my childhood. I used to ride my sister’s roller skate when I was a kid and absolutely loved it.  So, I decided to make a personalized roller skate just for me.



I used SubD modeling to create the prop.  First, focus on the silhouette and volume of the model.  Always have reference images within Maya and study the prop before modelling.  I used edge crease to harden edges and preview the model with smooth on as I add more details.

Since this is a personal project, I decided to do highpoly modeling and don’t worry about optimization.



I UVed the model in Maya just before applying smooth to the entire model.  It’s easier to check the texture density and much faster to unwrap the lower poly model.  I decided to have three UVs base on the materials, leather, metal, and plastic.


This roller skate needed three unique materials, rubber sole, shoelaces, and wheels. They were created in Substance Designer and I used very simple nodes.



I used Adobe Substance Painter to texture the model.  Smart materials and the stitch brush tool saved me a lot of time.  Always have reference images to check colour, roughness and metal.   

For the wheel, I first, applied the material created from Designer, then I added dirt and scratches.


From the beginning of the project, I wanted jewel-like wheels for my roller skate.  This look was achieved by using Refraction and having Use Microsurface on.  I used a simple three-point lighting setup and rendered it with Marmoset Toolbag3.



It was a really fun project and I learned so much along the way.  I would like to thank Games Artist for giving me an opportunity to share my workflow!