Old Skateboard

Prop Breakdown

Ivan Chumak

ivan-chumak-s1
216

Ivan Chumak

3D Artist

Introduction

Hello! My name is Ivan, and I am from Ukraine. Currently, I work as a tutor of 3D modeling, but in my free time, I love developing in the sphere of 3D art for game development. I have been involved in this field for about 1.5 years, and overall, I have been into 3D graphics for nearly 2 years.

The Story of the Project

I decided to create an old skateboard, firstly because I find this object interesting with its variety of materials, and secondly, I believe it is very congenial for many creative people.

A skateboard represents movement, and many creative individuals tend to have their heads in the clouds, and for me, a skateboard can symbolize this.

References

I collected about 40 different references, paying attention to various conditions and aspects of the object.

This helped me develop a clear understanding of the form of the skateboard, the degree of damage, and the textures I wanted to showcase, making my project the coolest it could be.

ref

Highpoly

I skipped the stage of creating the draft and went straight to the highpoly.

To create the wooden board, I used ZBrush, and for other details, I employed SubD in Blender.

Now, I’ll explain what I did during the ZBrush stage:

In the picture below, the pattern of wood fiber is demonstrated. I showcased it using the Noise Plug and an appropriate alpha.

When I adjusted some parameters within this function, I achieved this result:

Screen-HP-Zbrush-1

Then, I created the effect of broken layers of wood.

I recommend doing this step with appropriate references to avoid unrealistic results.

Screen-HP-2-Zbrush

After completing the ZBrush stage, I moved to Blender and began creating other highpoly details using the SubD method.

Lowpoly

Once I achieved these results, I proceeded to the Lowpoly stage.

Screen-HP-3-Blender

The Lowpoly stage was relatively easy. In some areas, I simply turned off the modifier and deleted support loops.

In other areas, I needed to use the 1st level of SubD to maintain the shape, optimize it, and obtain the desired result.

For the lowpoly wooden part, I utilized retopology and the Retopoflow addon.

UVs

My goal was to achieve high Texel Density because my main technical aim for this work was to practice texturing. I divided the model into 4 texture sets, resulting in an average Texel Density of 110/cm.

I encountered a problem with the board being too large to fit on one texture set.

To address this, I covered it with sandpaper above and added some details below on another set. Additionally, I added a separate layer of wood below on a different set.

UV

This allowed me to cover part of the board with other details without deleting unseen parts, just making them smaller on the UV.

Baking

Baking proceeded without problems. The only new thing I used was the Cavity map, which helped me with texturing.

Texturing

Variations, generators, stencils, and narrative elements are common practices when texturing, and I am no exception.

Here are some interesting moments:

print-0

I endeavored to fill every part of the model with something unusual. On one of the sandpapers, I decided to add a small drawing and use anchor points.

  1. Outliner.
  2. An empty fill layer adds a faded effect to the white base color.
  3. Dust variations using an anchor point.

Now, let me explain how I created the effect of greasy touches on the metal.

paint-1
  1. To create an inscription, I used a found alpha, then I added the Warp filter and created an anchor point, adding grunge for variety.
  2. I added a layer with height, which I limited with the created anchor (overlay-subtract method), and I used a simple soft brush to draw volume.
alpha-paint

I also created a pattern of a basic brush, which the owner of the skateboard might have used for this art (according to my idea). (Layer Brush1)

The main challenge for me was the wood.

wood1

For this result, I utilized a variety of grunges and generators (curvature, metal edge, position, and AO).

grunges

Conclusion

I achieved the desired result, but with more time and knowledge, I could improve each stage for even better results.

Thank you to the GameArtist community for recognizing me and allowing me to write this article about my project!

I hope I’ve shown you something interesting. I wish inspiration to each reader!